Terms of Service
Effective date: July 1, 2011
Introduction; Consent to Terms
You may copy, download one copy on a single computer, and print a limited amount of content, for your personal, noncommercial use only, provided that (a) you include without modification all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the content, (b) you do not modify the content, (c) you do not use the content in a manner that suggests Fronteras promotes or endorses your, or any third party's, causes, ideas, websites, products or services, and (d) you do not use the content in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity. In addition, you may use widgets and tools on the Fronteras website that allow selected User Materials to appear on your personal, noncommercial website, weblog or other application, subject to the conditions in the preceding sentence.
Any other use of Fronteras content requires prior written permission from Fronteras. For permission requests, contact us.
Through the Fronteras Community portion of the Service and through other features of the Fronteras website, users may post, upload, transmit and/or otherwise submit ("Submit") comments, messages, other text, photos, images, story ideas, essays, and other content and materials, and make recommendations, on or through the Fronteras website ("User Materials"). You acknowledge that User Materials may be routed through our servers, the servers of one or more third parties on our behalf, and the Internet, and may be viewed by Fronteras staff and on the Internet by the general public. You acknowledge that the Fronteras website, the Fronteras Community, and other features of the Fronteras website, are for public and not private communications.
We reserve the right to screen, refuse to post, remove or edit User Materials at any time and for any or no reason in our absolute and sole discretion without prior notice, although we have no duty to do so. If we elect to screen User Materials, there may be a delay in the posting of such content to allow for a review process. If we have questions about your User Materials, we have the right, but not the duty, to contact you for further information, including, for example, to verify that you own the copyright or otherwise have the rights to post the User Materials.
Rules for Use of the Service
By using the Service, including by registering for the Service, participating in the Fronteras Community, Submitting User Materials through the Fronteras Community or other means, using Content Feeds, or Podcasts, or by using any other features of the Fronteras website, you agree to the following rules:
- Fronteras expects users to be civil and courteous even when in disagreement. Personal attacks, insults, profanity, hate speech or harassment based on class, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, race, sexual orientation or other offensive conduct will not be permitted.
- Discussion that is off topic or unrelated to the story will be removed.
- You may not post duplicate and redundant User Materials.
- You may not impersonate public figures or other users, or provide any false information about yourself.
- You may not submit any User Materials that are libelous, defamatory, false, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, threatening, harassing, discriminatory, in violation of the law, harmful to children, in violation of third party privacy rights.
- You must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to register for or participate in the Fronteras Community or other social networking features of the Fronteras website; submit any User Materials or personally-identifying information on or through the Fronteras website; and/or participate in any online contests. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, you may browse the Fronteras website or register for e-mail newsletters or other features of the Service (excluding the Fronteras Community) with the consent of your parent(s) or guardian(s), so long as you do not submit any User Materials. If you are under 13 years of age, please do not send any information about yourself, including your name, address or e-mail address. If we discover that we have collected any personally-identifying information from a child under the age of 13, we will remove that information from our database as soon as possible.
- The Service can only be used for personal, noncommercial purposes. You cannot submit any material containing any solicitation of funds, advertising, promotion, solicitation for goods and services, or recruiting. You may not use the Fronteras website or other Content Provider websites for political campaigning, recruiting votes, or soliciting support for legislative or other initiatives.
- You may not submit any software or other material which contains a virus, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful computer code, files, scripts, agents, programs or device. You may not use the Service to distribute chain letters, mass mailings, "spam," or duplicative or unsolicited messages in violation of applicable laws, or to gather usernames and/or e-mail addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited e-mail or other communications to other users of the Service.
- You may not interfere with or disrupt the integrity or performance of the Fronteras website or other Content Provider websites, or any portion or contents thereof, or use these websites in any way which degrades their reliability, speed or operation, or their underlying hardware or software. In addition you may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to these websites or related systems or networks.
Fronteras does not allow framing of the Fronteras website.
Links to Fronteras Website
Fronteras encourages and permits links to content on Fronteras website. However, Fronteras is an organization committed to the highest journalistic ethics and standards and to independent, noncommercial journalism, both in fact and appearance. Therefore, the linking should not (a) suggest that Fronteras promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, websites, products or services, or (b) use Fronteras content for inappropriate commercial purposes or in any way that is unlawful or harmful to any other person or entity. We reserve the right to withdraw permission for any link.
Links to Third Party Sites
Fronteras has provided links to Internet sites maintained by third parties, over which Fronteras has no control. Fronteras does not endorse the content, operators, products or services of such sites, and Fronteras is not responsible or liable for the content, operators, availability, accuracy, quality, advertising, products, services or other materials on or available from such sites. Fronteras shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, products or services available on or through such sites.
Fronteras provides podcasts (the "Podcasts") consisting of selected audio content from Fronteras and other content providers that is provided over the Internet using an XML feed and an associated audio file so that the audio file may be downloaded and played from a user's computer or transferred to a portable listening device. Podcasts are available for personal, noncommercial use only. You may download, copy and/or transfer to a portable listening device the Podcasts for your personal, noncommercial use only, provided that you do not modify the content. You also may link to Podcasts from your website, Weblog or similar application, as long as (a) the links redirect the user to the Fronteras website when the user clicks on them, (b) you do not insert any intermediate page, splash page or other content between the links and the applicable Fronteras Web page, (c) the linking does not suggest that Fronteras promotes or endorses any third party's causes, ideas, websites, products or services, (d) you do not use Fronteras content for inappropriate commercial purposes, and (e) you provide attribution to Fronteras adjacent to the link. Fronteras reserves the right to discontinue providing Podcasts and to require that you cease accessing or using the Podcasts, or any content contained in the Podcasts, at any time for any reason.
The Service and any content, materials, user materials, features or products available or sold on or through the service are available on an "as is" and "as available" basis, without any warranties of any kind, either express or implied, including warranties of title or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Fronteras does not warrant that the service will be uninterrupted or error-free. Nor does Fronteras make any warranties as to the results that may be obtained from use of the service or endorse, recommend, or make any warranties as to the accuracy, reliability or content of, any content, information, materials, user materials, features, service, products, opinions, or statements available on or through the service or through links on the service. Use of this Service is entirely at your own risk. Content on the Fronteras website is not intended to substitute for professional advice of any kind. In particular, nothing contained on the Fronteras website is or should be considered, or used as a substitute for, medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding personal health or medical conditions. Never disregard or avoid professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Fronteras website.
Limitation of Liability
In no event will Fronteras, its directors, officers, employees, members or third party program producers and podcast providers be liable (a) for any indirect, consequential, special, incidental or punitive damages, arising out of the use or inability to use the service, (b) relating to any content or products available or sold on or through the service, or (c) in connection with any third party content or materials (including User Materials) or the defamatory, infringing, offensive or illegal conduct of any third party. In no event will Fronteras, its directors, officers, employees, members or third party program producers and podcast providers be liable for any amount in excess of $100.
Right to Change Fronteras Website
Fronteras has the right to change the Fronteras website, terminate or cease providing the Fronteras website, or delete content, materials or features in any way, at any time or for any reason or no reason.
Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) Notices; Copyright Agent
• Fronteras respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement by any content or material on the Fronteras website, please provide the following information in writing to Fronteras: • a physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright. • a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed. • a description of the material that you claim to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material. • information so that we can contact you, such as address, telephone number and e-mail address. • a statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. • a statement that the information in the notification is accurate and, under penalty of perjury, that you are the copyright owner or are authorized to act on behalf of the owner of a copyright that is allegedly infringed.
The Service is controlled and operated within Phoenix, Arizona. Fronteras makes no representation that content, materials or products available on or through the Service are appropriate or available for use outside of Phoenix. If you access the Service from a location outside Phoenix, you are responsible for compliance with applicable laws, including local laws regarding online conduct and content and U.S. export laws and regulations.